Friday, July 22, 2011

Allergies and a Bribe...

My allergies have been HORRIBLE this year.  I have had seasonal allergies for as long as I can remember and miserable is so inadequate a word to describe them.  Having a runny nose that doesn't stop but being unable to breath makes me feel clausterphobic.  My eyes itch so bad that it makes my toes curl and I can't not scratch them.  Along with my eyes, my throat and even inside my ears itch.  Driving up and down hills, which happens every time I go to town, my head pops and I can't hardly hear out of one or both ears.  I tried to mow the lawn a couple weeks ago and had a massive attach.  I had so much snaut coming out of my nose that I didn't even have to intentionally farmer blow to farmer blow.  I have learned some tricks to handle all of these symptoms.  Benadryl is the only thing that works for me.  Allegra, Claritin, and all the other generic stuff is for childs play.  I am happy that Benadryl doesn't make me quite as groggy as it used to.  I am still able to function.  Either they changed the formula a little to help this or I am just used to feeling groggy all the time now.   I have a NeilMed Sinus rinse that is the best thing ever invented for someone with allergies or anyone with a cold.  It is the same concept as a Netti Pot but it is a bottle you can squeeze rather than just flowing by gravity.  It  speeds things up and seems more comfortable.  It gets the pollen out of your sinus' and it clears my head better than anything. 
LET THE BRIBING BEGIN...  When it comes to potty training Everett we have been trying everything; candy, presents, cheerleading, high fives, and we even resorted to a little light shaming.  Dont get me wrong he will go potty on the potty but not consistently and it was a huge fight after he got tired of doing it a couple times.  Yesterday Clint had a bright idea.  Picture a big light bulb coming on above his head.  He told Everett that he could come with him to work and ride in tractors more if he learned to go potty like a "big boy".  He went with Clint for the afternoon after that.  I sent a diaper and some more pants with them and I was sure that he would come home with the diaper back on.  Last night when he came home though, he was still wearing his train underwear and he had peed and pooped outside.  Picture me doing a happy/victory dance!!!   Today he ran outside and when I looked out to check on him he was peeing off the last step on the front porch.  Gotta love being a country boy.  I did encourage him to go out a little further to the pasture area.  Until he gets a little more confident I dont want to lay down too many rules though so beware of wet rocks if you come out to visit us.  He gets to go with Dad again this afternoon if he keeps it up!!
      

2 comments:

Celeste said...

We better tell Eva that she's safe from having to potty train! Haha!

Jessica said...

For Keenan peeing outside was the BEST thing... he still loves it. So if it works....