Thursday, September 8, 2011
No pain, no gain is over-rated!
Well, here is a post that will take some energy. In an effort to keep this shorter than ten pages and preserve some dignity I will spare you all the mundane details. It is common knowledge that I don't always feel very good. Back problems, stomach problems, etc. Infact I have a page full of scribbles that I put together as I identified symptoms that were not normal to have. My sypmtoms affect me head-to-toe and the hightlights include frequent headaches, moderate tension at the base of my skull, neck and shoulder dysfunction and pain, lots of tightness between my shoulder blades, low back spasms, hip pain, tailbone pain that can be severe if I have been sitting for long, and numerous incredibly tight spots in my legs (when they are relaxed). I can't sit or stand for long periods of time with out pain, cart chubby kiddos around without pain, and working 12 hour shifts can leave me feeling crippled and aching so bad that it is all I can do not start popping pain pills...and I don't do this. I have been to GI doctors, reported my syptoms to my primary doctor, tried new mattresses and many pillows, chiropractors, and an acupuncturist. Some helped but the root of the problem was never resolved despite trying everything they could recommend. After my acupuncturist discovered I had swelling overy my sacrum which is quite unusual I started to think about what could cause it. The only thing I could think of was a sledding accident when I was 13. It involved me, my friend, my friend's brother, a huge inner tube for a sled, and a notoriously fast and icey hill called Pete's Hill. Blah, blah, blah, what you need to know is my pelvis took a beating when I was bounced off the inner tube as we were going nine-o and I landed. very. hard. I remember having severe tailbone pain after that but never did anything about it. I have read and researched lots about tailbones since this and all my syptoms matched. My hopes were high again that this was finally going to be resolved. I went to California to see a Physical Therapist that specialzed in womens health/pelvic instability and could do proper tailbone adjustments. I was there for a week. She did assess my tailbone but decided that it couldn't be the problem because it was actually hyper mobile. She thought is was the sacrum itself which wasn't moving at all. She did a lot of work on a lot of areas. Some have improved a lot but I am still dealing with a slew of painful problems including the ever persistent tailbone pain. I did however learn a lot about physical therapy, I am quite impressed, and think that a good physical therapist will be key to getting better. That being said, I still have some pretty bad days and a lot of frustration since there are no for sure answers and limited resources to try here in Montana. I still feel my tailbone is playing a major role but finding someone who is knowledgable and wont cost a fortune to get to is easier said than done. Tears are frequent, not much is comfortable, and I am hanging on to any strand of hope I can find. That strand of hope today is an email that I sent to a guy who specializes in tailbones. In my reading I saw that hyper mobility could cause problems too. I wrote to him to find out more and find out if there were any treatments for this. So until I hear back I won't be obsessively checking my e-mail or anything. Ta ta till then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Sorry Luke messed up your life. I'd say you could sue him but that wouldn't go very far. I hope you get some good news and more importantly relief soon.
No worries westy! If I blame anything it is Pete's Hill and and not doing something A LOT sooner.
Post a Comment