Monday, November 14, 2011

Morgan...

Yesterday morning at 9am our little cow dog Morgan took his last breath.  He had started to act funny Thursday morning.  By Thursday night he was at the vets office.  He stayed there until it became clear there wasn't any improvement to be made and Doc could see that he wasn't going to make it much longer.  Saturday night we picked him up.  He couldn't walk anymore and his one eye was so swollen he couldn't close it or see out of it.  He had a lot of pain meds on board to keep him comfortable  so we weren't even sure if he knew we were there and or knew he was home.  We all thought he would die during the night.  I didn't sleep well at all and every time I heard him move I woke up and ran to check on him.  By 3:30am he was much more lucid and moving around more.  I brought a water dish down and he used every ounce of energy to drink from it.  He cocked his ears around as we talked to him and was tracking us as we moved around him.  He knew we were there and he knew he was home.  After drinking some water he was completely exhausted.  We laid him down on an old comforter and he slept.  Clint had to leave to feed cows but was going to be back as soon as he could.  He stayed in that same position on the comforter as his breathing got raspier.  Eventually he didn't move his ears or blink his eye anymore as I talked to him.  After sitting with for quite a while and assuming every breath would be his last I had to get up to help Scarlett.  I was gone maybe a minute and when I walked back into the mud room he was gone.  He was a great working dog, sweet with the kids, and a good friend.  He will be greatly missed.  He is burried next to Hank and Rod and Clint welded a little headstone for him.  He can now chase cows and play with Hanky again.  Before all this happened he had turned into quite the stud and fathered several litters of puppies with our Aunt's dog.  Thankfully he just had a litter that is about a month old so we get to have the next best thing...one if his pups.   





No comments: