Monday, April 2, 2012

Black widow, calves, and more colds...

 I was playing with editing some of Kate's wedding pictures for her. 


Scarlett is kind of a diva.  She has attitude, likes to accesorize and is a huge Daddy's girl.


She ate and fell fast asleep.

 We have been busy on yard work.  We hauled a bunch of manure for the flower beds, sprinkled Preen to keep the weeds controlled, fenced in the flower beds, and moved the sand box to around the playhouse.
 We still need to haul in more sand for the sandbox since it is quite a bit bigger than the old ones.
 This is the berm that has given me quite a headache just trying to figure out what to do with it.  I have finally decided I am going to continue the pressure treated timber along the line at the base between the dirt and the gravel.  This will help clean up the line there and help hold the dirt in place.  Then plan on using some curvright at the top edge to keep the grass from growing into the berm.  The berm it self is going to be planted with small shrubs and perrenials.  I don't know what plants I am going to use yet.  Good Earth Works Nursery is the nursery I use and they are going to help me plan that part of it.  The picture above is after we hauled in more dirt to back fill with, and dug up all the weeds that were growing in it.  While I was digging I reached down to knock some dirt off a clump of grass roots and a black spider crawled onto my GLOVED hand.  I turned her over and found a red hourglass shape on her belly.  COD:  blunt force trauma caused by repeated blows of a shovel.  I told Clint I had just killed a black widow and he said "good" and then "what gun did you use?"  I said "shot gun...didn't want to miss."  Later that same day we were alerted to a cow that had been straining for quite a while.  We herded her into the corral and pulled her calf who wouldn't have made it without the help.  I was pretty exciting and both the cow and calf are doing great.  Living on a ranch is AWESOME!
 We did finally get a dog house.  It is big enough for all four big kids to fit in!  Bear still prefers the cat house even though he can't hardly fit in it anymore and the cat likes the dog house.  We still need to paint it to match our siding.


 Scarlett accessorizing with my cowboy boots. 

 The heiffers are nearly done calving and now the calves are in full swing.  This means riding every morning to tag calves for Clint.  I have been riding as much as is possible and even figured a way to pack my big camera with me! 
 Sometimes tagging calves involves getting pretty close to some anxious and protective Mama cows.
I am sick yet again.  This time a head cold that has my sinus' built up with so much pressure it feels as though they would be better off if they exploded.  The alternative is one heck of a headache.  I really want to get my tonsils out!  Dr. Beeson thinks that these repetitive colds and flus could be due to them.  I have to many things to do this summer to be laid up with colds all the time!

No comments: