Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fathers day, Floods, and tornados...

Happy Father's Day to all the great dads out there. We had quite the exciting day. I had to work the night before and night of so our household celebrated early with cards and delicious cinnamon rolls. When the actual day rolled around I was getting ready for work when Clint came in and told me there was a tornado that touched down by the Metra and tornado watches out for our area now too. OMG! I continued to get ready and drive right into the middle of things for work that night. I was less than thrilled. I wanted to see the damage, but people were acting like total jerks all over town. There were massive amounts of water in the streets...thankfully Clint thought to send me in the truck or I might have floated away in the middle of an intersection. I had to wade through puddles and was soaked by the time I made it through the doors of the hospital. The hospital was worse off than I was with inches of water inside the main levels of the building. Thank goodness I work on the second floor otherwise the C-section I was quickly rushed into would have really sucked. Unfortunately the number of women going into labor is directly related to changes in the weather so it was a bit of a crazy night. We have had thunder storms every night since the tornado but thankfully nothing as damaging as the first night. The picture below is golf ball sized hail that the heights received. There were no deaths or injuries thankfully. Many cars were flooded including several of our OB doctor's cars parked in the lot outside the hospital doors. Water up to the bottom of their windows is hard on cars. I heard rumor that there was a car totally submerged in the basement parking lot of the hospital. The Metra lost its roof and several other businesses near there in the heights were stripped pretty clean down to the walls.
The picture below was taken by a friend of mine. They were out on the river boating for Fathers Day when the tornado was touching down. They were flying back to shore as fast as they could in the hopes that the tornado wouldn't help them out with this task.


No comments: